The Energy Research Centre is the result of the logical merger of activities of the Energy Research Institute and the Energy Development Research Centre at the University of Cape Town
The ERC is a multi-disciplinary research centre which pursues excellence in technology, policy and sustainable development research, education and capacity building programmes at a local and international level.
The ERC has led the development of South African energy policy throughout the transition to democracy.
The centre seeks to maintain excellence and leadership in meeting the overlapping challenges in environmental protection and socio-economic development.
Specific objectives of ERC include:
- To undertake independent and objective research of both national and global interest in order to deepen knowledge and understanding of energy and development needs, problems, challenges and innovative solutions.
- To undertake research on linkages between energy and other themes, including economic and social development and impact, environment and climate change.
- To educate and train researchers through postgraduate degrees and short course programmes.
- To contribute to sustainable development at national, regional and global level, through social equity, economic efficiency, technology and policy analysis/research.
- To promote and disseminate research findings to the community using peer-reviewed and other publications.
- To organize and attend meetings, seminars, workshops and conferences in order to disseminate and share ideas and information.
- To build strategic alliances and partnerships with other organisations both at local and international level in order to enhance internal capability to achieve objectives.