Energy efficiency initiatives in Africa and action plans to support countries
Client: The Copenhagen Centre on Energy Efficiency (C2E2) as the EE hub for the Sustainable Energy for All (SE4ALL) initiative under UNEP Riso
Period: July 2014 – February 2015
Project leader: Andrew Hibberd
Project team: Andrew Hibberd, Bothwell Batidzirai
An investigation of energy efficiency initiatives in Africa and development of action plans to support new and existing opportunities. The scope of work is as follows:
- Identify successful Energy Efficiency initiatives that have either already taken place, are currently underway or are being planned.
- Document the barriers encountered or anticipated in the above initiatives.
- Prioritise the countries in the region based on the energy efficiency initiatives, and applicable co-benefits such as access to energy, improvement of health and safety, education etc.
- Identify five countries to be targeted for support based on energy efficiency potential, government interest and support, commitment to accelerate energy efficiency, need for assistance. This will include face to face consultations with in country stakeholders and experts.
- In consultation with stakeholders, develop an action plan to support the identification of new initiatives or the ramping up of existing energy efficiency programmes.