New and renewable energy technologies
Course code: MEC5075Z
Course convenor: Amos Madhlopa, Amos.Madhlopa@uct.ac.za
Course dates: 11 April– 27 May 2016 (7 weeks).
After successful completion of this course, a student should be able to:
- Describe the major renewable energy resources.
- Understand the basic concepts of various technologies for harnessing renewable energy.
- Apply fundamental principles of renewable energy resource and technology in solving practical problems in the energy sector.
Key elements of the course include the following
- Engineering science essentials
- Renewable energy resources
- Renewable energy policy and financing
- Solar thermal and photovoltaic technology
- Wind power
- Passive and active solar building design
- Small hydro-electric systems
- Wave and tidal energy
- Geothermal energy
- Hydrogen and fuel cells
- Energy storage
Exam and class assignments