Jiska de Groot
Jiska joined the Energy, poverty and development group as a researcher in 2015.
- MSc International Development Studies, Specialization in Rural Development Sociology, Wageningen University, the Netherlands.
- MA Cultural Anthropology and Development Sociology, Leiden University, the Netherlands.
- Thesis submitted for PhD in Human Geography, University of Plymouth, UK.
Current research interests
Social science aspects of the deployment of renewable energy technologies, marine renewable energy, clean energy access, and poverty alleviation in developing countries. Stakeholder engagement, fairness and justice perspectives and decision-making processes.
Jiska has been involved in several research projects regarding renewable energy deployment, in particular stakeholder engagement with marine renewable energy technologies. Besides her research on renewable energy development and stakeholder engagement, Jiska was involved with the International Network on Offshore Renewable Energy, to contribute to representation of the social sciences in the advancement of the renewable energy sector, and has been involved in geography teaching in the UK.
- De Groot J., Campbell, M., Ashley, M., and L. Rodwell. (2014) Co-existence of fisheries and offshore renewable energy in the UK: Identification of a mitigation agenda for fishing effort displacement Ocean and Coastal Management 102 (part A): 77-18.
- De Groot, J., Ashley, M., Campbell, M., and L. Rodwell (2014) Assessing fisheries displacement as a result of developing a UK network of MPAs and offshore energy development. A report jointly funded by the National Federation of Fisheries Organisations, Seafish and the NERC Marine Renewable Energy Knowledge Exchange Programme.
- Rodwell, L., de Groot, J., Ashley, M., and M. Campbell (2013). Fisheries and Marine Renewable Energy Interactions: Assessment and Mitigation. A report prepared as part of the Marine Renewable Energy Knowledge Exchange Programme.
- Simas, T., Muñoz-Arjona, E., Huertas-Olivares, C., de Groot, J., Stokes, C., Bailey, I., Magagna D., et al. (2012) Understanding the role of stakeholders in the wave energy consenting process: engagement and sensitivities. A paper written for the 4th International Conference on Ocean Energy, Dublin.
- Rodwell, L., Campbell, M., de Groot, J., and M. Ashley (2012). Fisheries and Marine Renewable Energy Interactions – Summary of a scoping workshop. A report prepared as part of the Marine Renewable Energy Knowledge Exchange Programme.
- Bailey, I., de Groot, J., Whitehead, I., Vantoch-Wood, A., and P. Connor (2012) Comparison of National Policy Frameworks for Marine Renewable Energy within the United Kingdom and France. A report prepared as part of the MERiFIC Project.
- De Groot J, and S.R. Bush. (2010) The potential for dive tourism led entrepreneurial marine protected areas in Curacao. Marine Policy 34 (5):1051-1059.
- Vantoch-Wood, A., de Groot, J., Connor, P., Bailey, I., and Whitehead, I. (2012) UK National Policy Framework for Marine Renewable Energy within the United Kingdom. A report prepared as part of the MERiFIC Project.
- De Groot, J., The shifting geographies of energy generation and supply: exploring attitudes of island communities towards hosting marine renewable energy developments. A paper presented at the Royal Geographical Society Mid-Term Conference, Loughborough, April 2014.
- De Groot, J., Bailey, I., and I. Whitehead. Regulatory frameworks and stakeholder engagement in marine energy deployment. A paper presented at the annual Royal Geographical Society conference, Edinburgh, July 2012.
- ·De Groot, J., Stakeholder perceptions of Marine Renewable Energy. A paper presented at the Geography Presentation Event, Plymouth, May 2012.
- De Groot, J., Presumptions and procedures: challenges for local government in development of marine renewable energy. A paper presented at the Environmental Interactions of Marine Renewable Energy Technologies conference, Orkney, April 2012.
- ·De Groot, J., Baldwin, C. and Rosier, J. Institutionalizing Adaptation Strategies to Climate Change in South East Queensland’s Canal Estate Systems. A paper presented at the Coast to Coast Conference, Adelaide, September 2010.