Samantha Keen is a researcher in the Energy, environment and climate change group. She joined ERC as assistant researcher to Prof. Winkler in his role as a lead author on the IPCC Working Group III contribution to the Fifth Assessment Report. She has since worked on national climate mitigation projects and in the Mitigation Action Plans and Scenarios Programme. Her skills include meteorological and air pollution modelling.
- MPhil (Environmental Management; UCT)
Current research interests
Climate mitigation and energy policy; air pollution; environmental stewardship
Current focus areas include air quality co-benefits of South African climate change policies; the energy-water nexus
- Madhlopa, A, Sparks, D, Keen, S, Moorlach, M, Krog, P and Dlamini, T. 2015. Optimization of a PV-wind hybrid system under limited water resources. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 47, 324-331.DOI: 10.1016/j.rser.2015.03.051.
- Boulle, M., Boyd, A., Cunliffe, G. & Keen, S. 2014. National and international MRV requirements for local mitigation action: The case of South Africa’s renewable energy procurement programme.
- Sparks, D, Madhlopa, A, Keen, S, Moorlach, M, Dane, A, Krog, P and Dlamini, T. 2014. Renewable energy choices and their water requirements in South Africa. Journal of Energy in Southern Africa 25(4): 80-92.
- Boyd, A, Keen, S and Rennkamp, B. 2014. A comparative analysis of emerging institutional arrangements for domestic MRV in developing countries.
- Abiodun, B.J., Ojumu, A.M., Jenner, S., and Ojumu, T.V. 2014. Regional Transports of Atmospheric NOx and HNO3 over Cape Town. Air Pollution Modeling and its Application XXIII (pp. 317-322). Springer International Publishing.
- Abiodun, B.J., Ojumu, A. M., Jenner, S. and Ojumu, T. V. 2014. Transport of atmospheric NOx and HNO3 over Cape Town. Atmos. Chem. Phys. 14, 559–575.
- Jenner, S.L. and Abiodun, B.J. 2013. The transport of atmospheric sulfur over Cape Town. Atmospheric Environment, 79, 248-260.