Amos Joined ERC in 2013 as a senior researcher specialising in renewable energy.
PhD (University of Strathclyde, United Kingdom)
MSc, BSc (University of Malawi)
Current research interests
Renewable energy technology development.
Energy systems modelling, design, testing & exploitation
Mitigation of climate change through sustainable energy production and consumption
Rural and community energy provision
Amos was Associate Professor at the University of Malawi, involved in teaching, student supervision, research, consultancy and administration. Previously he was Newton Fellow at the University of Strathclyde conducting research in energy systems
Publications since 2005 (for earlier publications, click here)
- Madhlopa, A, Keen, S, Sparks, D, and Moorlach, M. 2014. Water considerations in selecting energy technologies. Draft report for submission to the Water Research Commission.
Madhlopa, A, Keen, S, Sparks, D, and Moorlach, M. 2014. Draft policy framework for efficient use of water in energy production. Draft report for submission to the Water Research Commission.
Madhlopa, A., Sparks, D., Keen, S., Moorlach, M., Dane, A., 2013. Renewable energy choices and water requirements in South Africa. Report for the Water Research Commission.
Chapters in books
- Madhlopa A. and Okoroigwe E. (2017). Solar gas turbine systems. In Abraham M. (ed), Encyclopedia of sustainable technologies. Elsevier. https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-12-409548-9.10150-2
Articles in peer-reviewed journals
- Mabhaudhi T., Mpandeli S., Madhlopa A., Modi A.T., Backeberg G., Nhamo L. (2016). Southern Africa’s Water–Energy Nexus: Towards Regional Integration and Development. Water 8, 235. doi:10.3390/w8060235, article can be accessed on: http://www.mdpi.com/2073-4441/8/6/235/pdf
- Madhlopa A. (2016). Effect of controlling airflow in a solar chimney on thermal load in a built environment. Journal of Engineering, Design and Technology 14(2), 286-309. Doi: 10.1108/JEDT-04-2014-0023
- Okoroigwe E and Madhlopa A, 2016. An integrated combined cycle system driven by a solar tower: A review. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 57, 337-350. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2015.12.092. Article can be accessed on: http://authors.elsevier.com/a/1SK0v4s9HvhNna
- Okoroigwe E and Madhlopa A, 2016. An integrated combined cycle system driven by a solar tower: A review. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 57, 337-350. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2015.12.092. Article can be accessed (free until 24 February 2016) on: http://authors.elsevier.com/a/1SK0v4s9HvhNna
- Madhlopa, A, Sparks, D, Keen, S, Moorlach, M, Krog, P and Dlamini, T. 2015. Optimization of a PV-wind hybrid system under limited water resources. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 47, 324-331. DOI: 10.1016/j.rser.2015.03.051. Article can be accessed here.
- Madhlopa, A. 2014. Modelling radiative heat transfer inside a basin type solar still. Applied Thermal Engineering, DOI: 10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2014.07.065.
- Madhlopa A. and Clarke J.A. (2013). Computation of irradiance in a solar still by using a refined algorithm. Renewable Energy 51, 13-21.
- Tenthani C., Madhlopa A. and Kimambo C.Z. (2012). Improved solar still for water purification. Sustainable Energy & Environment 3, 111-113.
- Madhlopa A. and Jonstone C.M. (2011). Computation of solar radiation distribution in a solar still with internal and external reflectors. Solar Energy 85, 217-233.
- Madhlopa A. and Jonstone C. (2009). Numerical study of a passive solar still with separate condenser. Renewable Energy 34, 1668-1677.
- Madhlopa A. and Jonstone C. (2009). Model for computation of solar fraction in a single-slope solar still. Solar Energy 83, 873-882.
- Madhlopa A. and Jonstone C. (2008). Potential for water distillation by using solar energy in Malawi. Environment and Health International Magazine 10(2), 51-53.
- Madhlopa A. and Ngwalo G. (2007). Solar dryer with thermal storage and biomass backup heater. Solar Energy 81(4), 449-462.
- Madhlopa A. (2006). Solar climate in Malawi. Solar Energy 80(8), 1055-1057.
- Madhlopa A., Mgawi R. and Taulo J. (2006). Experimental study of temperature stratification in an integrated collector-storage solar water heater with two horizontal tanks. Solar Energy 80(8), 989-1002.
- Madhlopa A. (2005). Distribution of hourly variability index of sky clearness. Tanzania Journal of Science 31(2), 77-80.
Articles in conference proceedings
Charitar, D and Madhlopa, A. 2015. Comparative study of the thermal performance of inclined and vertical solar chimneys. Paper presented at the Mechanical, Manufacturing and Materials Engineering Conference, 5 November 2015, Circle Bellville, Cape Town.
Madhlopa, A., 2015. Geometric consideration in modelling the effect of brine depth on transient heat transfer inside a basin type solar still. In Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Sustainable Energy & Environmental Protection (Vol.1), 11-14 August 2015, University of the West of Scotland, United Kingdom: 386-393.
Okoroigwe, E and Madhlopa, A. 2015. Evaluation of the potential for hybridization of gas turbine power plants with renewable energy in South Africa. In Proceedings of the 22nd Conference on the Domestic Use of Energy, 30 March-1 April 2015, Cape Peninsula University of Technology, Cape Town: 223-232.
Reckson, S & Madhlopa, A. 2014. Assessment of perceived characteristics of solar lamps in Khayelitsha. In Proceedings of the 22nd Conference on the Domestic Use of Energy, 31 March-2 April 2014, Cape Peninsula University of Technology, Cape Town: 125-130.
Madhlopa A. and Clarke J.A. (2011). Theoretical study of the aspect ratio of a solar still with double slopes. In Proceedings of the World Renewable Energy Congress, 8-11 May 2011, Linköping, Sweden.
Madhlopa A. (2010). Development of a renewable energy based water distillation system. A poster presentation, Newton International Fellowship Day, 16 February 2010, London.
Madhlopa A. and Jonstone C. (2008). Preliminary results from the testing of an advanced passive solar still with shielded condenser. In proceedings of the World Renewable Energy Congress, 19-25 July 2008, Glasgow, United Kingdom.
Madhlopa A. (2006).Study of diurnal production of distilled water by using solar irradiation distribution about solar noon. In: Proceedings of the EuroSun 2006 International Conference, 27-30th June 2006, Glasgow Caledonian University, United Kingdom.
Madhlopa A. (2005).Comparative study of simple models for predicting distillate productivity of a solar still. A paper presented at the Malawi Polytechnic Research & Publications Conference, Sun ‘n ‘ Sand Holiday November 2005.
Madhlopa A. and Ngwalo G. (2005).Convective solar dryer with a wood waste backup heater for food dehydration. A paper presented at the Annual Research Conference, 16 – 17th June 2005, Kalikuti Hotel, Lilongwe.