Debbie is a Senior Research Officer at ERC, working in the Energy, Environment and Climate Change research group
BSc(Hons) 2004, MSc 2007, PhD 2001 - University of Cape Town (Department of Environmental and Geographical Science).
Current research interests
Debbie is interested in the nexus between water and energy as well as climate change adaptation. She is involved in teaching and convening the Energy and Climate Change Masters programme at the ERC. She also convenes the mitigation component of the African Climate and Development Inititiative’s Climate Change Adaptation and Mitigation Course.
Publications and reports
- Madhlopa, A, Sparks, D, Keen, S, Moorlach, M, Krog, P and Dlamini, T. 2015. Optimization of a PV-wind hybrid system under limited water resources. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 47: 324-331. DOI: 10.1016/j.rser.2015.03.051. Article can be accessed here.
- Madhlopa, A, Pegram, G, Sauka, S, Sparks, D, Keen, S and Moorlach, M. 2015. A decision report framework for energy and water resource choices in South Africa. Report submitted to the Water Research Commission, June 2015. Project number K5/2239.
- Sparks, D, Madhlopa, A, Keen, S, Moorlach, M, Dane, A, Krog, P. and Dlamini, T. 2014. Renewable energy choices and their water requirements in South Africa. Journal of Energy in Southern Africa 25(4): 80-92.
- Madhlopa, A.; Keen, S., Sparks, D. and Moorlach, M. 2014. Water considerations in selecting energy technologies. Report submitted to the Water Research Commission, May 2014, Project number K5/2239.
- Madhlopa, A, Moorlach, M, Sparks, D, Keen, S and Krog, P. 2014. Scenarios of energy supply and associated water demands. Report submitted to the Water Research Commission, September 2014, Project number K5/2239.
- Madhlopa, A, Keen, S, Sparks, D. and Moorlach, M. 2014. Draft policy framework for efficient water use in energy production. Report submitted to the Water Research Commission, March 2014, Project number K5/2239.
- Madhlopa, A, Sparks, DA, Jenner, S, Moorlach, M, Dane, A, Krog, P and Dlamini, T. 2013. Renewable energy choice and their water requirements. Report submitted to the Water Research Commission, October 2013, Project number K5/2239.
- Sparks, D.A., Moorlach, M. and Muller, J. 2011. Climate Change and variability: Adaptation of deciduous fruit farmers: A case study of Klein Constantia wine farm, Constantia Valley, Cape Town (report submitted to UNITAR)
- Sparks, D. and Mwakasonda, S. 2006. Energy and the environment. In Winkler, H. (editor) Energy policies for sustainable development in South Africa. Options for the Future. Energy Research Centre, University of Cape Town.
- Callaway, JM, Louw, DB, Nkomo, JC, Hellmuth, ME and Sparks, DA. 2006. The Berg River Dynamic Spatial Equilibrium Model: A New Tool for Assessing the Benefits and Costs of Alternatives for Coping with Water Demand Growth, Climate Variability and Climate Change in the Western Cape. AIACC Working Paper no. 31, June 2006.
- Hellmuth, ME and Sparks, DA 2005. Modelling the Berg River Basin: An explorative study of the impacts of climate change on run-off. (Submitted as an AIACC working paper.)
- Nkomo, JC, Winkler, H, Mwakasonda, S, Mukheibir, P and Sparks, D. 2005. Climate Change Mitigation: A training manual. Journal of Energy in South Africa 16(3): 139-142.
- Nkomo, JC, Gomez, BE, Sparks, DA, Callaway, JM, Hellmuth, ME, Louw, DB, Jallow, BP and Njie, M. 2005. Capacity building in analytical tools for estimating and comparing the costs and benefits of adaptation projects. AIACC AF 47 Final Report.
- Mukheibir, P and Sparks, D 2005. Climate change and Small Municipal Water Resource Strategies – Water resource management strategies in response to climate change in South Africa, drawing on the analysis of coping strategies adopted by vulnerable communities in the Northern Cape province of South Africa in times of variability. Report submitted to the Water Research Commission, WRC Project K5/1500.
- Nkomo, JC, Louw, DB, Sparks, DA, Callaway, JM and Hellmuth, ME. 2004. Capacity building in analytical tools for estimating and comparing costs and benefits of adaptation projects in the Berg River Basin, South Africa. Messages from Dakar. AIACC 2004: 5-14.
- Sparks, DA. 2004. The potential impact of the electricity basic services support tariff on indoor air pollution and health in South Africa. Journal of Energy in Southern Africa 15(4): 88-91.
- Callaway, JM, Hellmuth, ME, Nkomo, JC, Sparks, DA and Louw, DB. 2003. Estimating and comparing the benefits and costs of avoiding climate change damages. AIACC Notes 2(2).
- Mukheibir, P & Sparks, D. 2003. Water resource management and climate change in South Africa: Visions, driving factors and sustainable development indicators. Energy & Development Research Centre, University of Cape Town.
- Sparks, D.A.; White, N. and Mwakasonda, S. 2003. Environmental and health impacts of the basic electricity support tariff. Proceedings of the International Conference on Domestic Use of Energy: 29-34.
- Davidson, O. and Sparks, D.A. (editors). 2002. Developing Energy Solutions to Climate Change: South African Research at EDRC, EDRC press.