Louise joined the ERC in January 2012 as a Researcher in the Energy Poverty and Development group. Prior to working at the ERC, she worked for consultancies in both South Africa and the United Kingdom in the fields of economic development and environmental policy.
- Bcom (honours) Economics, University of Kwa-Zulu Natal
- Msc Energy and Development Studies, Universtiy of Cape Town
Current research interests
Louise’s main research interests relate to the nexus of energy and development issues in South Africa and other developing countries. Her two main research interests are: extending basic energy access to poor households; and climate change and energy policy design and implementation at both national and urban scales. She is also currently pursuing a Phd investigating energy service delivery in informal settlements.
Reports and publications
- Mohammed, S., Tait, L., and Kruger, W. (forthcoming). Energy efficiency in Cape Town municipality, the role of the intermediary. Ch in New, Davies and Scott (eds).Urban development and climate change in the global South: Lessons from Cape Town. UCT press
- Tait, L. 2017. Towards a multidimensional framework for measuring household energy access: Application to South Africa. Energy for Sustainable Development, 38: 1-9.
- Wikus, K. Tait, L and de Groot, J. 2017. The political economy of household thermal energy choices in developing countries: comparing the LPG sectors in Indonesia and South Africa. Chapter in Arent, D. et al (eds) The political economy of clean energy transitions. Available here.
- Herman, R, Gaunt, CT and Tait, L. 2015. On the adequacy of electricity reliability indices in South Africa. Proceedings of the South African Universities Power Engineering Conference. Johannesburg, 28-30 January 2015.
- Tait, L, McCall, B and Stone, A. 2014. Energy futures modelling for African cities: Selecting a modelling tool for the SAMSET project.
Tait, L, Merven, B and Senatla, M. 2013. Investigating the current and future role of paraffin in South Africa.Report for the Paraffin Safety Association of South Africa.
Tait, L, Wlokas, HL and Garside, B. 2013. Making communities count: Maximising local benefit potential in South Africa’s Renewable Energy Independent Power Producer Procurement Programme (RE IPPPP).
Tait, L., Wlokas, H. and Prasad, G. 2013. Investigating barriers to energy access for the urban poor in Imizamo Yethu, Cape Town. Urban and Peri-urban Energy Access (UPEA) Phase lll. Global Network on Energy for Sustainable Development (GNESD).